You don’t have to even be on TikTok to know about some of the trends that arise from the app. Whether it’s a song, dance challenge, or recipe, these viral sensations go beyond social media to become mainstream hits. We’re going to give some of these trending recipes a try to test them out for ourselves and let you know if you should hop on the bandwagon, too. Today we’re trying TikTok Yogurt Toast.
Imagine if cheesecake, toast, and a fruit danish got together and had a baby. That’s Custard Yogurt Toast and it comes together in a few quick steps. To make it, you gently smoosh a depression in a slice of bread, fill that with a lightly sweetened custard and toppings, and bake for about ten minutes.
Tiktok Custard Yogurt Toast 101
You’re only a handful of ingredients away from trying it yourself. Or course, the key ingredient of any recipe with “toast” in the name is bread! You’ll need soft bread for the base, like our Bakehouse White. What makes our white bread better than what you might find on a grocery store shelf? Zingerman’s Co-Founder Ari Weinzweig says:
“Better flour is a good beginning—these loaves are made from organically grown wheat. We use smaller amounts of commercial yeast, butter in place of commercial shortening, and a small bit of sugar, fresh milk, and eggs. It has a delicacy and deliciousness that, I forecast, just might make you—or your kids—happy in a wholesome, artisan sort of way.”
Plus, unlike what you can get at the store, you can choose to get your loaf of Bakehouse White unsliced. We always recommend slicing bread yourself—it will stay fresher longer, and you can control the thickness. For this recipe, thicker is better.
For the custard, you’ll need an egg, Greek yogurt, and a sweetener, like sugar or honey. We used honey and added a little vanilla bean paste, too, to bump up the cheesecake vibes. And then, you’ll need a topping. The most popular option is fruit, like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries. We made ours with strawberries, but think of what you like on your cheesecake and let that guide you (aka a drizzle of chocolate sauce could be a very sweet way to go).
Make it for yourself
TikTok Custard Yogurt Toast
- 2 slices Bakehouse White bread
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp honey or sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, optional
- 2 to 3 strawberries, sliced (or toppings of your choice)
- Heat oven to 400°F. (This recipe could also be made in a toaster oven or air fryer.)
- Using the back of a spoon, or your fingers, gently smoosh each slice of bread to create a depression, leaving the edges unsmooshed to contain the custard.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, sweetener, and, if using, the vanilla bean paste.
- Divide the custard equally between the two slices of bread and top with strawberries slices, or the toppings of your choice.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the custard is set.
Our final verdict?
Custard Yogurt Toast is a fairly speedy way to enjoy a sweet breakfast that feels a little special. We give it 3 out of 5 Sour Cream Coffee Cakes. (Why coffee cakes instead of stars? It’s our all-time, most-popular item… so it’s our star!)
Hungry for more?
- Order a loaf of Bakehouse White for pick up at our Bakeshop
- Get our recipe for Bakehouse White and bake up a couple of loaves at home
- Read about why Zingerman’s Co-Founder Ari Weinzweig loves Bakehouse White