What’s better than a chocolate chunk cookie with walnuts? At the Bakehouse, we think it’s our whole grain funky chunky cookies—chocolate chunk cookies baked with our latest obsession turned full-fledged commitment: freshly milled whole grains.
Continuous (DELICIOUS) Improvement
As you may know, we’re constantly experimenting to improve our recipes. Thankfully, we were bold enough to think we could improve an already rock-solid recipe for an all-time classic cookie, our Funky Chunky cookie, because we were right!
To make our newly-improved chocolate and walnut studded cookie, we took our classic recipe and swapped out plain flour for freshly milled whole grain flour. In the new recipe, we use a mix of organic soft white wheat berries from Ferris Organic Farms in Eaton Rapids, Michigan and some hard red spring wheat berries from the Leelanau peninsula, and mill them ourselves.
When you try our improved Funky Chunky Cookies, you’ll notice a greater depth of flavor – slightly nutty, earthy, a little caramelly with an appealing chewiness. These cookies are whole grain AND they’re delicious. Try one for yourself next time you visit the Bakehouse! Better yet, gift yourself a bag of our freshly milled whole grain flour and bake them in your very own kitchen.
Whole Grain Funky Chunky Cookie Recipe
|½ cup + 2T
|Egg yolk (large)
|Soft White Flour
|True North Flour
|⅓ cup + 2T
|1 ½ cups
Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat together until the mixture is light and creamy.
- In a separate container, combine the baking soda, salt, and flours and mix to combine.
- Pour the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Fold until the dough is well combined.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chunks to the bowl – mix just until they are evenly distributed in the cookie dough.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop out your desired size of cookies and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Flatten the balls lightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies have browned lightly around the edge of a cookie. For soft cookies remove the cookies from the oven when the center of the cookie is still soft. For crisp cookies bake the cookies until the center of the cookie is just set.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool cookies before storing in an airtight container.
MORE THAN GREAT FLAVOR
When you pull these whole grain funky chunky cookies out of the oven and take your first bite, you’ll be able to sense a deepened flavor thanks to the addition of freshly milled whole grains. How can flavor deepen with just one subtle recipe tweak? In baking, it’s all about the details. The same is true in the Bakehouse’s business practices – it’s all about the details!
Not only does the Bakehouse constantly improve even our most tried and true recipes, but the Bakehouse is also always looking at the big picture to see how we can help our community. This recipe update is not only about flavor, which it definitely delivers on, it’s also about supporting our regional grain economy and feeding people healthy, nutritious food.
We hope you join us in this endeavor by trying a taste at the Bakeshop, or by baking your own batch of the new and improved Funky Chunky Cookie.
This post was originally published on March 19th, 2020, we’re sharing it again today because we’re so honored to be named one of The Boston Globe’s favorite chocolate chip cookies.