Inspired by the Bakehouse’s brand new bake & serve cookie dough, we asked one of our favorite local 4-year-olds to put it to the test (with adult supervision, of course).
Here’s how it all panned out:
Space the cookie dough perfectly on a cookie sheet then
get distracted while the adult does something else with it
Wait patiently with a toy,
have a pre-cookie snack,
ask if they’re done yet,
say hello to the neighbors,
try to contain your desperation while you collapse onto the floor,
ask again if they’re done,
start climbing the walls.
Admire their beauty while they cool.
The waiting really is the hardest part.
- Big O (oatmeal raisin) cookie dough—a Bakehouse staple and long-time favorite of Bakehouse founder, Frank Carollo! Many of the ingredients are locally sourced. The stars of the Big O show include old-fashioned rolled oats; large, plump, juicy Red Flame raisins; and a whole gallon of real Michigan maple syrup added to every batch! All of this is held together with fresh, house-milled, organic, Michigan soft white wheat.
- Funky Chunky (chocolate chunk with walnut)—made with freshly milled whole Michigan grains. Zingerman’s Bakehouse uses a mix of organic soft white wheat berries from Ferris Organic Farms in Eaton Rapids, Michigan and some hard red spring wheat berries from the Leelanau peninsula, mills the flour themselves and then studs the dough with chocolate and walnuts. You’ll notice a greater depth of flavor—slightly nutty, earthy, a little caramelly and an appealing chewiness. It’s delicious, not heavy or bitter as many of us used to think whole grain baking has to be. It tastes better and it’s more nutritious.
- Ginger Jump-Up—What makes these cookies so special? We use unrefined brown sugar from Mauritius (Ma…what? It’s an island off the coast of Africa) and juicy chunks of crystallized ginger. The result is a chewy, spicy, sweet treat.
- Sky’s the Lemon—These cookies have a delightful chewy texture and a triple shot of real lemon—fresh lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, and candied lemon pieces. The same trifecta that’s in Zingerman’s Bakehouse lemon scones, actually. They are beaming with true lemon flavor.
Bakehouse cookie dough is available:
- At the Deli (Big O and Funky Chunky): Purchase online for Deli pickup or local delivery. Also available to grab and go from the Specialty Foods area or in the Next Door Café.
- At the Bakehouse (All four varieties): Purchase online for same-day pickup or future pickup. Also available to grab and go from our freezer case.